You may be asking yourself what human trafficking has to do with Glory Displayed. You may even be asking yourself what human trafficking is. “The United Nations definition of human trafficking is ‘The recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of threat or use of force or other forms of coercion…for the purpose of exploitation’ (www.unescap.org).” Human trafficking is something that I have been learning more about. I believe that with knowledge comes responsibility. Now that I know this information, I must do something about it.
Did you know that:
- 27 million people are in modern-day slavery across the world.
- 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders. Every Year.
- 1 million children are exploited by the global commercial sex trade. Every Year.
- $32 billion are generated by the human trafficking industry. Every Year.
Statistics courtesy of www.PolarisProject.org.
Did you also know that:
• Human trafficking is the fastest growing black market trade across our planet – second only to drug trafficking?
• Women and children are forced to have sex 40-60 times a day?
• An estimated 17,000 people are brought into Minnesota alone every year?
• There are only 45 beds in the United States for rescued slaves?
Statistics courtesy of www.fiercebeauty.net.
God tells us that, with His help, we are to “loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke…to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter — when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood…then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. (Isaiah 58:6-8)
Here at Glory Displayed, we are doing our part to raise awareness about human trafficking. A portion of all sales will be donated to organizations that help rescue people from this form of modern-day slavery. For more resources on human trafficking and information on how you can help visit the Links Page.